Sunday, January 8, 2012

An extra recipe

I like to try to incorporate a new dish into our weekly menu plan as often as I can. This past week we finally were able to try Lentils and Spinach, a dish I found from this blog. I adapted it to fit our family's preferences and we had it for dinner on Thursday. My husband was leery of it, as he usually is with anything that involved lentils, but he surprisingly gave it his seal of approval.

Lentils and Spinach

1 tbs. coconut oil (or healthy fat of your choice)
1 red onion, sliced into rings
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c. lentils
2 c. water
1/2 lb. sausage, cooked or 2 c. cooked, shredded chicken
1 pkg. frozen spinach
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cumin (I ran out of cumin, so I used chili powder this week)
freshly ground black pepper
extra garlic

Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan over medium heat and saute onion for about 10 minutes. Add garlic and saute for another minute or so. Add lentils and water to the pan and bring mixture to a boil. Cover, lower heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, cook the spinach on the stovetop according to package directions. Add spinach, salt, cumin and meat to the pan and simmer another 10 minutes. Grind in plenty of black pepper and smash in more garlic to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!