Monday, February 6, 2012

Menu Plan Monday 2/6-2/12

You may have noticed that the menu plan for last week was missing. I can assure you we ate, but don't ask me to remember what! We are slowly climbing out of the pit known as sickness and I was doing my best last week to keep clean (read: not puked on) clothes on myself and Julian. I think we are past the worst of it now, so I am praying that we can get back on schedule this week!

Here is our menu plan!

Breakfast
  • Soaked oatmeal and fruit (with honey and maple syrup) x 6
  • Soaked whole wheat pancakes, bacon and fruit
Lunch
  • Out with a friend x 2
  • Leftovers and smoothies (for me) x 3
  • Standard lunch (for hubby) x 5
  • Hot dogs, chips and fruit
  • Church lunch
Dinner
  • Spaghetti (trying our spelt noodles for the first time!), garlicky biscuits and fruit
  • Beef and cabbage soup (recipe below!), whole wheat biscuits and fruit
  • Hamburgers, potato wedges and fruit
  • Leftovers (for me) x 2
  • Standard lunch (for hubby) x 2
  • Calzones, homemade dipping sauce and fruit
  • Popcorn and smoothies
Beef and Cabbage Soup
1 lb. ground beef, browned
1 onion, coarsely chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1/2 head of cabbage, coarsely chopped
64 oz. tomato sauce*
4 c. soaked, rinsed and cooked kidney beans (1 1/3 c. dry beans)
1 c. brown rice, uncooked
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tbs. chili powder

Stir all the ingredients together in a slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours. 
 
*tip: If I am running low on my supply of canned tomato products, I will substitute a can of crushed tomatoes for the tomato sauce in this recipe. The crushed tomatoes I buy come in a 64 oz. can, while the tomato sauce comes 15 oz. to a can. Simply open the can of crushed tomatoes and give it a whirl in the blender!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!