Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Plans

 If you had asked me on our wedding day (which was fifteen months ago this Sunday!) what I thought our life would look like in about a year, I probably would have said something to the effect of, "Oh, I don't know, but we trust that the Lord does and we are excited to follow Him wherever He leads!". Sounds like a good answer, right? The problem is, while I may have given that pat answer, I was really trusting that the Lord would fulfill my plans that I had so carefully constructed for our new life together. Oh, sure, I trusted the Lord and was excited to follow Him, provided that His plans were congruent with my plans. Looking back, I am certain the Lord was looking down on me as a vibrant young bride and thinking, "Isn't she in for a surprise?".

Most of you who read this humble little blog are aware of our story. To make a long story short, fifteen months after my wedding day finds me unshowered, wearing sweatpants, bouncing a beautiful, albeit fussy, six month old baby boy on my hip and attempting to get dinner on the table before eight pm. You can do the math and figure out that the Lord blessed us with our little Julian very shortly after we took our marriage vows. Needless to say, this is definitely not what my plans included :)

It is days like today when it would be very easy for me to feel ashamed of what I have to show for my day. A wet bag full of dirty diapers and beans finally in glass jars rather than the plastic they came in hardly screams accomplished and beneficial to society :) Becoming a mom has been (and continues to be!) a humbling experience. I have LOTS to learn still and look forward to the things that the Lord will teach me through life as a mom.

I still like to plan, as evidenced by my menus that I post every week, but I have learned, in my short married life, that the purpose of the LORD will win out each and every time.

Proverbs 19:21 Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the LORD that will stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!